• +1 (778) 724-0220

18 Aug

  • By Springboard Agency
  • In Blog

CEC – Canada Experience Class

Canada Experience Class is one of the PR options available for international graduates with a skilled job in Canada. It also seems to be the most natural path from the eyes of the Canadian government. By the time you complete your studies, and have a skilled job, you are well adapted to the Canadian culture and society, level of English communication is good, and has built some network in Canada that can support you. The Canada Experience Class was created to attract “skilled talent” like yourself.

Here are 5 things that international students should know about CEC.

1. Job Category: Your job must fall under NOC skill level 0 or skill types A or B.  According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work is divided into three groups:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

Not sure what NOC is? Follow the link. “What is NOC”.

Your work experience should be gained through these skilled level jobs.  You can count your work experience for CEC only if your job falls under the NOC 0, A or B category.  Simply put, you as an international graduate should find an ideal job that’s categorized under NOC 0, A, or B. B seems to be more approachable than 0 or A. Don’t you think?

2. Minimum Score for Language Test: You must also include the results of a language test (CELPIP or IELTS) that shows you meet them when you apply for CEC. There is a minimum standard score you have to get from the tests and these standards vary according to the three job groups above.

Most of applicants take IELTS, and the standard score for NOC B level job is “Listening 5.0 & Reading 4.0 & Speaking 5.0 & Writing 5.0”.

It’s not too hard. Most of the college admission requirement for IELTS is higher than what Immigration Canada requires.

3. Work Experience: Your one year working experience must be

  • 12 months of full-time skill work in Canada, you can accumulate part-times to make equivalent.
  • Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.

4.  Blocked positions: Although a job may be classified under NOC A or B, some of the jobs are not accepted under CEC.

  • Cooks (NOC 6322)
  • Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
  • Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
  • Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
  • Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
  • Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)

You will find the job Administration Officer (NOC 1221) is not included in the jobs eligible for CEC. If you studied Business or Commerce and seeking a skilled job related to your study it has to be specialized for a certain industry.

5. Sub-capacity:  There is also a capability for overall CEC applications which is 8,000 and there is a sub-capability of 200 for each NOC B level occupation. In early of August 2014, a total of 1,747 applications were received towards the 8,000 capacity. There seems to be enough room for more CEC applications to be filed at the moment.

Springboard Agency is not an immigration consulting agency. This information was provided by licensed immigration consultants. However, if you are studying in Canada and feel that you need our help in finding a job that fits for you, please feel free to message us at support@springboardagency.org.

5 things about CEC has been provided by:

Alex YongKun Kim
Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Full Member # R413479
BeHERE Immigration Consulting
Suite 206, 850 West Hastings
Vancouver BC V6C 1E1 Canada 
T: 778-318-9339 F: 778-654-7949
beherecanada@gmail.com / www.facebook.com/BeHEREconsulting


Like what you see? Contact us to book a meeting time soon.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone (required)

Tell us about your work & education background, and what is your career and educational goal in Canada?